“…I now remind you to stir into flame the gift of God which is within you…” (2 Timothy 1:6, The New English Bible)
The emblem of United Methodist Women, the cross and the flame, symbolizes our organization. The cross and flame are ancient symbols of the church and appear on The United Methodist Church emblem. Both remind us of our PURPOSE of growing in our understanding of and willingness to participate in global ministries of the church. The shape is fluid and free-flowing, suggesting change and mobility. The women who came before us, serving the church at home and in other countries, were at the forefront of movements for change. ALways aware of the times, we move into the 21st century aware of the opportunities and obligations of discipleship. We are a group of Christian women with many gifts who are unified by one Spirit. We participate in God’s mission in all areas of life.
The organized unit of United Methodist Women shall be a community of women whose purpose is:
- To know God and to experience freedom as whole persons through Jesus Christ.
- To develop a creative supportive fellowship.
- To expand concepts of mission through participation in the global ministries of the church.
The Purpose is adopted by the General Conference of the United Methodist Church as the official mission statement of United Methodist Women. Out of the Purpose are four mission foci:
- To be a community of women
- To know God
- To develop a creative and supportive fellowship
- To expand concepts of mission